Friday 3 October 2008

BWOF 03/2006



This dress 108 is a current UFO of mine, currently awaiting finishing details. I made it up in a very white cotton-tyupe fabric with black embroidery, and added a banding of black ribbon at the hem. It stalled because I left off the self-fabric belt. Without that it looked too baggy on me, rather like a nurse's outfit in the white fabric. With a belt it might look nicer and I intend to dig it out and revisit it.

110 and 110 (A jacket and skirt). I like the skirt, but not so sure about the jacket. I do, however, like it in the linedrawing though, although maybe it's a little boxy for my tastes.

106, -- this blouse. There's an interesting effect at the button band, but the busy print they've used in the magazine (for both versions) makes it hard to see. I'm undecided how I feel about high-necked blouses like this. Maybe they're a little prim for me. On the other hand making my wardrobe a little more ladylike it one of my goals.

114 and 115 -- Jacket and skirt. Have I mentioned my deep, abiding love for white suits? Love. This. I made the skirt ages ago, but I suspect I threw it out as it was made up in a cheap polyester.

Cute blouse (104) for Spring/Summer. I'd like to make it, but it won't be for a while. Perhaps TMI, but every time I read this, 'Boom for big blossoms', I read 'blossoms' as 'bosoms'. *sigh*

Trousers (107b). I know it's a terrible idea. I know it's utterly, horribly wrong. I don't care. I still want a pair of patterned capris. With flowers on. For spring obviously, and I'd shorten them as that is definitely not a good length for me.

Blouse (118) -- Not keen on this. It's a little too cutesy for me, and it looks like its shorter than I usually like my tops to be. Also the fronts don't overlap, right? I don't really want to be flashing my bra-band to the world.

Skirt (105) -- I've made this skirt recently -- haven't posted it yet, though. While I like the pattern,. I'm not sure it worked too well in the fabrics I chose for it -- I used a patterned silky type for the body of the skirt and a solid matching pink for the yoke. Pretty fabrics, and I'm not unhappy with it exactlty -- I just don't seem to have anything to go with it. Also it's another summer garment, and that isn't where my mind is at, currently. Otherwise, pretty skirt and I plan to post and review it.

I want to make this petite dress and coat (127 and 126). Pretty and elegant and sweet, although I have absolutely nowhere to wear it as a matching outfit. Very formal, and I love the lines of both the dress and the coat.

They have made it up in silk dupion, which could work out quite costly if I made both garments. I would possibly use taffeta instead.

There's also some pretty wedding dresses -- for obvious reasons I doubt I'll ever make any of those, although I do quite like 117 (which could make a beautiful party dress in non-white fabric) and 125, because it's so very pretty. Also like this coat/dress combination, 102/122, which is a fascinating alternative if you wanted to be a bit different. That coat with the train? Oh my.
The plus section has a selection of casual clothes, including the ubiquitous parka, a very smart looking denim jacket, that would look great in a variety of fabrics -- linen is the first to spring to mind. The line drawing looks more like a blazer than an denim jacket. There's also a smart tracksuit and some great trousers in a variety of views. Pretty good selection, if all very casual (except for the jacket).
And finally, clothes for the sprogs. All very pretty and brightly coloured. 138 is a very pretty flouncy summer dress, which could work well in a more formal fabric for a party. There's also a pair of unusual pants. And another pair of unusual pants.

No comments: