Monday 6 October 2008

Update

Well, the Hong Knog finish was a bust. It added too much bulk to the seam allowances, and wasn't that exactly what I was trying to avoid? Cutting the continuous bias strip was easier than I'd thought, and I will definitely be using that technique in the future. I'll have to find a better way of marking the fabric. The water-soluble blue pen I used was only just visible on the black satin I bought, and I was having my first Spanish lesson with Paul while I was trying to cut it out -- result? Not altogether sure that I stayed in the lines. Also I should have made the strips wider. Mine were just over an inch (yes, the instructions said an inch and a half. Yes, I'm an idiot) and the one strip I tried was a little fiddly.

I'm (of course) hand-overcasting the seams now. They're pretty much done, so the worst is over. The next project I do is going to be much less work-intensive -- French seams! Ha!

Both the trousers and the blouse are starting to take shape. The blouse facing is in, finished and more or less pressed. It's the sleeves yet, and I just have to figure out if I'm going to add extra reinforcement to the buttonhole area. The blouse fabric is pretty flimsy, so it would probably be wise. The trouser legs are ready to be sewn together. They are quite wide, but I will always be wearing these with heels, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm beginning to realise my decision to work on the blouse and trousers simultaneously was a mistake. The intent was to finish both garments at the same time, so that the entire outfit is complete. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but in practice it's too much of a PITA. Bloody multi-tasking -- I get enough of that at work. It means I can't give the garment enough of my attention, because I always have to plan the other one in my head. A bit like cooking two seperate recipes, which have to be ready at the same time. And I know, I know -- I realise this is a self-imposed rule so it's utterly silly for me to fret about it -- but I like the idea of completing an outfit in one go.

It's not going to happen next time though. One item at a time, damn it. Well, more or less, anyway.

No comments: