Friday 5 September 2008

Burda 09/08

At first glance, I didn't think this was one of the better issues. The styling seemed off, and a lot of the garments were a little frumpy. One thing I've learned, though, is that issues grow on me. Each time I flip back through an issue I see things I didn't notice before. People often say that one of BWOF's flaws is that it hardly shows the garments at all, that often the photos completely hide design elements. And they'd be right. But there's a positive side to that too -- it means you don't grow bored with an issue. There's always something new to find.

I don't know that I will ever make it, but I do have a soft sport for this coat. There's a simplicity to it that's very now and I do like standing collars (although I suspect they're not that keen on me). Having said all that, I'm fairly sure it would look like a sack on me.



I love this jacket. I love the style of it and the mixture of the punk sensibilities with the traditional English vibe that's also bery current. This is probably what I'd make out of the whole issue, probably in a tweedy plaid as it is in the picture on the right.

I also rather like the skirt it's paired with in the magazine -- the leather one with the stitched down pleats. Would I wear a leather skirt? Well, no -- but I like the a-line style of it, and there's plenty other fabrics it would work with.

Meanwhile although my first instinct on seeing this is 'Hnuh?' it's one of those garments I think will grow on me. It's the quirkyness and the unusual shape. Will I ever make it though? Well, no, probably not. It's saying wool to me, but it's short-sleeved. Has the world gone mad?
Yet another parka. I'm just not interested in making parkas. Still, that's one hell of an involved technical drawing.
This coat is one of the few garments that hasn't grown on me. I love the tweedy fabric but look at the shape of it! Yikes. Even fitted double-breasted isn't for me, and that ain't fitted. Oddly, Paul liked this coat, which is very similar (albeit bright pink). Odd, because I was fairly sure he'd HATE it.
I am all kinds of love for this skirt. After the debacle with my last pencil skirt, it's a luxury to actually be able to see the back. Although it does look a scinch tight-fitting on the model. Not a great sign for me.
Like a lot of others, I appreciate the lines of this shift dress. In a plain coloured fabric, of course, to show off the seaming.
It gets me every time. I'm a sucker for a white/cream suit. Never mind that I could never wear it because of the practical aspects (a white suit in London? On the underground? Bwahaha. No); they just look so smart and elegant. I like the jacket though, and I'm curious about what its 'clever sleeve cap construction' is.
Erm, not overly keen on this shirt. It's probably a lovely blouse in reality, but as it is I don't think it looks all that great on the model. The pleats don't open in the ideal place -- or perhaps they do if you want people gawping at your nipples.
The plus section is good, although I don't make plus sizes. This dress is lovely, once you get past the fabric (not keen on it) and take a look at the technical drawing. Those lovely pleats are completely hidden by that busy fabric. I also like this jacket (again, look at the technical drawing) and this top.
The final section is for the 'likeable lads' -- garments for boys and a tunic for a man. Mmph. Well, I don't have a boy to make clothes for, but there's some nice basic patterns in this section. For boys, anyway. As for the man's pattern... uh. It looks fine in the main photo, but in the secondary photo? No, can't see myself making that.
On the whole, I'm still underwhelmed. A couple of nice garments that I would consider making but nothing that screams 'Make me!' Ah well.

No comments: