Friday 5 September 2008

BWOF 07/07 115 -- Meh!


This was the skirt from the 'Urban Safari' feature in the July 2007 issue of Burda World of Fashion. I've made it up in a wool that I bought from a fabric shop in the West End. It was a skirt-length remnant, and the selvage proclaimed it as having some mohair element. I'm... not entirely thrilled with the fabric. It's not all that soft and it doesn't press nicely. Plus it was cheap. So I'm not too concerned that my overall feeling towards this skirt is 'meh.'

I should have paid more attention to the reviews on PatternReview.com. That is what they're there for, right? All of them so far have commented on the excess of fabric in the back above the elastic.

One of Burda's interesting quirks -- there's no picture of the back of the actual made-up skirt. Now that would be interesting to see. And as you can hopefully see from the next picture, I have the same problem.

(Sorry for my not so great photographs. I'm still learning and relatively new to this.)

It's a pity because otherwise the skirt is quite form-fitting, especially in the front. It could be a very sexy pencil skirt, except for the shapeless mess in the back. I fidgeted around with some pins, indulged in some random panic sewing of random pointless darts, then decided, calmly and rationally, that it was time to step away from the sewing machine. And put away those scissors too.

So the question is how do I salvage it? On Pattern Review some of the sewers took in the seams in the back. I have a plan. I've learned when you're stuck at a point in a project it really is best to walk away and let it sit for a while. Muse over it and let the subconscious kick it around for a bit. And something occured to me.

So I'm off to see if it works. I'll get back to you. Wish me luck.

No comments: