Friday 5 September 2008

I am not a blogger!

Or at least not a natural blogger, but who knows -- they say it takes about a month to start a new habit, so we shall see.

I'm starting this blog because I wanted somewhere to document my attempts at wardrobing and my sewing progress. And my thoughts on fashion, I suppose. Whether anyone else will be interested remains to be seen, but at the very least it will be a useful tool for me. In... theory.

On the wardrobing side, my collection of clothes is like a lot of women's, I'd guess. A big black hole of jumbled crap, most of which I'll no doubt never wear. Garments I love but seldom wear because it seems like nothing goes with them. Piles of shoes that I cannot wear because... well, ow ow ow! And so much of it is cheap and just generally not very nice. Well, now I'm saying 'Enough!' I'm tired of looking like a scruffy student. Tired of wearing the same old t-shirt of jean-style trousers and t-shirts. Boring.

I want to look smarter, more professional and stylish.

So... I will be documenting any new additions to the wardrobe, whether bought or sewn, including any outfits I can put together. I might also work back through my wardrobe, and do the same with difficult or favourite pieces. Crazy? Anal? Obsessive? Well... um... Yeah, sorta. But I like the idea of taking a magazine-style approach to my own wardrobe. I do like magazines, after all.

I think more people should sew, damn it. Logic tells me that sewing is not for everyone, and fair enough... But still when I hear someone say they can't sew instinct makes me want to shake them by the shoulders and demand "Why the hell not? Do you not realise how much fun it is?"

Mostly I sew from Burda World of Fashion. Which. I. Adore. Remember the way I feel about non-sewers? Well, that's also how I feel about sewers who don't get BWOF. Seriously, sewing ain't all that cheap a hobby, and when most patterns are running £5-7, if you can buy a magazine with about 20-30 patterns for £4.30 then DO IT. Heh, am I starting to seem a little bossy? I don't mean to be, honest.

I just think starting to buy BWOF was one of the smartest things I ever did. Other than buying a sewing machine and actually starting to sew of course. I now have almost 3 years worth of back issues, and I hardly ever buy other patterns now. What's the point? Every time I find myself eyeing up a pretty dress I flash back to BWOF and remember something similar (or better) that I could make instead.

Anyway, I don't want to go through too much detail, since this was supposed to be an introductory post and not a waffly blathering one. Next I'll show you what I'm sewing at the moment, my most recent finished garments and the future projects I have lined up. Oh, and my wardrobe plan. And a couple of garments I bought recently. Uh, and probably some of my thoughts on wardrobing.

See ya!

No comments: