Friday 12 September 2008

Burda Retrospective -- 02/06


So here is the first of a series of posts running through my collection of Burda WOF magazines. I decided to start at the beginning (where else?) with the first ever issue I bought -- February 2006. PR Reviews for this issue can be found here.

This is actually a cute T-shirt now that I look at it closer. My eye has always skimmed right over it before, probably because I don't often sew with jersey. I bet it would be nice made up, with all those gathers on the waist and sleeves.

Nice jacket even if it is one of the hard patterns -- 4 dots! Perhaps I'm a masochist, but I always find myself drawn to those. I see 'For real pros' and I think, 'Oh yeah?' I will sew a 4 dot pattern though -- I think that's going to be one of my sewing goals. A jacket, of course, since the 4 dot patterns are nearly always jackets. Maybe this one? I like the lines and the neat little diagonal pockets.

A pretty chiffon skirt,, with ruffled tiers. Hard to see the details in the magazine because of the busy print.

I've made this shirt! In a stripy green. I'm not happy with it though, because I didn't set the sleeves in properly and the seams are starting to pull apart at the bottom. It might be fixable, but there's a lot in the queue before it. It's cool to see how far I've progressed.

A jumpsuit. It looks lovely, but I've decided I'm just going to say no, even if there was a recent brief resurgence. I saw a recent article saying how easy to wear they are -- just pull them out of the wardrobe and that's your outfit sorted. Not so easy when you need to go to the bathroom though.

I tried making 120A too, a chiffon overblouse but back then I didn't understand the importance of thorough and accurate marking. I was also thrown by the dropped shoulder and thought I'd make some freakish mistake. Me, rather than the pattern, I believe. Plus my loops were crap. I think I probably will try again in the future, as it does look like a flattering top if sewn with more care. It also comes with frills.

Those sort of flounces at the bottom of the skirt always put me off (115). I'm not quite sure why. I like the picture in the magazine.

LOVE this dress (124A) and I have, in fact, sewn it up quite recently. It came out very nicely indeed, maxi-length but more flattering than my other maxi dress which was Simplicity 3803, and it sewed up perfectly. I'm going to post a review on this one so keep an eye out. I'm definitely sewing this one again, possibly in the shorter length.

From a pattern I can't say enough good things about, to another that leaves me almost speachless -- 126. Wow. Those are certainly... sleeves. Oh man, I partly want to make this up just to see what it looks like. Maybe I will. I could always leave off the ruffles and just have the puffed sleeves. The blouse itself is quite simply cut.

There's a sweet suit sized for petites (129 and 130). I rather like the jacket, but I think it's very close-fitting, so I'm not sure it would be right on me. The trousers are simple and very plain.

Another lovely dress (127), which I always forget about.

You can hardly see it in the photo, but there's some very interesting pleating (?) going on in this skirt -- (128). It might be interesting to play around with contrasting fabric. Also, it looks like a simple and flattering cut.

Well, I like this jacket, although I'm not too keen on the embroidered flowers (102 and 122). I do like the embroidered edging though It would make a very pretty summer jacket, if you could find a pretty boucle. The skirt looks quite pretty too, although I'm not sure if I'd make it. That's a lot of zigzagging.

A pretty blouse (108), which I think I might make if I can find the right fabric. I like the frills.

In the plus section: a basic looking and simple blouse that looks like it'd be a cinch to sew (135), and apparently instructions for crinkling your own fabric have been included. A skirt (136) that I actively dislike from the line drawing, but seems okay in the picture and I'm sure is lovely. A cool jeans jacket (132), a nice basic long skirt (134), and some damn nice trousers (137).

And the children's section, there's some outfits for first communion, which could equally be pageboy or flowergirl outfits. A suit with a stand-up collar for the boys and some very pretty dresses for the girls.

So, my final thoughts? Well, there's some sentimental bias, seeing as this is my first ever issue. The real standout for me is definitely 124, but I'd still like to try a couple of other garments as well. It's not a standout issue by any means (it's interesting looking at the different number of reviews on PR for each issue. This issue didn't get too many), but there's some good basics in here. And I am finding myself drawn towards that blouse with the crazy sleeves. Noooo, must resist.

No comments: