Tuesday 16 September 2008

In Progress -- Paul's Jacket Muslin



I've made a bit of progress on the muslin for Paul's jacket, and it seems to be coming along quite well. I think I must have made a mistake tracing the collar band, as it seems to be about 1.5 cms too short. Perhaps I left off the seam allowance.

The instructions for the collar and facing were a little confusing -- it isn't clear how the facing is attached after the collar is on. The open seaming doesn't exactly help. I haven't quite made up my mind whether I'm going to use the open seaming in the finished jacket. Once the pieces are cut out I'll try out some samples and see.

That's assuming I choose to use this pattern. I like it, but as you can see in the picture, he's only wearing it over a shirt and I want it to be a proper coat rather than a jacket. I'm planning on interlining it for extra warmth. Would I be better off with a single breasted three-quarter length coat?

No comments: